If you want a quick summary (27 minutes) we recommend a listen to the Berkley OneÂ Webinar 2019: An Art Year in Review trends by Katja Zigerlig Berkley Oneâ€™s Vice President of Art, Wine + Collectibles Advisory
Autumn Impressionist/Modern/ Post-War Contemporary Auction Sales $1.4 Billion. This is down from the prior year but mainly because there were no works sold at over $100 million each:
- New record for Ed Ruscha 1964 Hurting the Word Radio #2Â $54 million (Christieâ€™s).
- Tale of Two HockneysÂ $29.5 million Sur La TerrasseÂ 1971 (Christieâ€™s) while Yves-Marie Rain 1972 went unsold (Sothebyâ€™s).Â Buyers associate the bright California sunshine in La Terasse with Hockney, but not the dreary rain-drenched figure in the unsold work.
- Graffiti Art on the Move.Â Keith Haringâ€™s Grace House Mural (1983-1984)Â sold for $3.9 million (Bonhamâ€™s) and will move moved to a new location.
- New record for Yoshimoto Nara.Â Â The Â 2000 Knife Beyond Back reached $25 million (Sothebyâ€™s) following a $4.5 million new record only six months prior at the spring sales in Hong Kong.
Highlights from Basel. Other than Maurizo Cattelanâ€™s Comedian otherwise now well-known as the banana duct-taped to the wall.Â The edition of 3 was sold at a price tag of $120,000.
- Emerging artists especially from the Caribbean and affordable ceramics such as Deborah Anzigerâ€™s Eye
Climate Change. Two major foundations are setting up shop in the gallery district which is further inland and less vulnerable to storm surge.Â Â We wonderÂ if this effort will have any impact on the private jet market.
Commissioned Works â€“ Urs Fischer, Leo (George & Iremlin), 2019 a wax sculpture complete with a wick intended to be lit and gradually melted like a candle commissioned by Leonardo di Caprio.
Berkley One includes coverage of $100,000 for works under commission. They made reference to this informative blog post interview with Amy J. Goldrich a New York based art lawyer about commission agreements.Â NB the importance of a copyright agreement to use images of the artwork.Â Â Click here to read more.