By: fox5dc.com staff
Posted: Aug 16 2017 04:45PM CDT
Updated: Aug 17 2017 06:01PM CDT
WOODBRIDGE, Va. – Prince William County police are warning ATM users to beware of skimming devices after they were found at five different 7-Eleven locations in Woodbridge since last week.
Police say over the past few months, other skimming devices have also been found at gas stations and other ATM locations throughout the county.
Prince William County police have provided the following tips when using your credit or debit cards at ATMs and gas station pumps:
– Do an external check of the ATM or gas pump area
– Slightly tug at protruding parts or on areas where your card may be inserted
– Check the keyboard, this should be one piece and not move when pressing numbers
– Check for security seals, if tampered with DO NOT use and notify an employee or police
– Also, check for wires and damaged or broken locks on ATM or gas pump panels
– Look for suspicious devices which may be used to mimic the real device
– If your bank offers the ability to use access codes instead of the card itself on ATMs, consider using the codes
– If you have to enter your PIN, use your hand to block the view from other people or hidden cameras
– If using a gas pump, try to pay with cash if you can or use a credit card, debit cards are a direct link to your money
– Also at gas stations, choose a pump in direct view of the cashier which deters tampering
If you are concerned about these devices while using an ATM or gas pump, police also say you can attempt to locate nearby skimmers by using a cell phone. Authorities say these skimming devices use Bluetooth technology.
Use your phone to scan for Bluetooth devices, and if you find anything that seems unfamiliar, especially ones that contain various numbers, letter or characters, it may be a sign of a skimming device. However, it is important to not connect your phone to the suspicious device.
Click HERE for the online article.
Some of the Information that appears on this site is produced by Chartwell Insurance Services an independent insurance broker specializing in the personal asset protection of successful individuals. Other content is provided as a resource. The contents of all posts are informational only and Chartwell Insurance Services is not providing legal advice nor policy interpretation. If you have questions please direct them to a representative of Chartwell Insurance Services.